Re: [Harp-L] Re: was experiment, now just combs

On Dec 22, 2008, at 2:50 AM, Jonathan Ross wrote:

smo-joe writes:

So, in other words, to use your logic, anything that anyone posts on this site in the future that is remotely a mere 'commercial' and not proven, to the minutist degree, is to be disallowed and deemed out of order.

The question of whether or not comb materials make a difference in the sound of the harmonica is not something which has not been proven "to the minutist degree", rather it is something which is wholly and utterly unproven.

Man, I can't argue with YOUR logic. :)

Indeed, it is something which has been contra-indicated by existing tests and for which there is no sound theory. Whenever it is claimed, either commercially or not, I see no reason not to point out that both the default and current position based on what has been tried must be that there is no such difference.

That's why I love to read your posts. I will do ANYTHING to get you to put together this kind of wording. I like to read them over and over...and over again. Even 6 or maybe 7 times. Because every time I read them, I get something even more enlightening out of them.
I have no idea of what you do, but you must be damn good at it.

Moreover, when spurious or false claims are used to justify the sale of a product, then that takes on added weight.

Well, my only issue is that there are many people who post things that are borderline and most of it goes unchallenged. All I saw from this mans post was an attempt to advise everyone that he had combs for sale. I think we are all informed enough as to take the advertisement as it was intended and could see the wording for what it was. No one should get that upset or excited about it. He should have been given the benefit of the doubt.

Side note: He SHOULD, however, have answered FJMs query.

This whole deal was just a commercial. And like we don't have enough of those on the list. Relax, don't be so critical.

Finally, and I will try not to veer too far off-topic here but the accusation has been made ("disallowed and deemed out of order"): I have not now, nor ever argued against anyone having the right to post whatever they want.

It's not an accusation. Many times over the years you have taken the position that your way or the highway is the only way. Frankly, most of the time I find myself agreeing with you. But you have to remember something. Most writers are talking off the cuff or are merely giving an opinion whereas you seem to delve into things quite deeply. Sometimes I get the impression that you think it's your main purpose.

But, it must go both ways: anyone has a right to post, and anyone has a right to comment. That's why this is a forum, not a blog. Vern said it better than I could, but I agree fully and completely: I expect that what I write can and will be scrutinized, and I have learned much from those exchanges.

Actually, I have never seen a chinque in your armor.

Jo-Jo (with deep respect)

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () `----'