Re: [Harp-L] Suzuki Fabulous Further Impressions

So, John;
              When you say 'fairly bright', would that place the 'Fabulous', tone-wise, somewhere near a Lee Oskar? Or perhaps a Golden Melody?
              Though quite different instruments, I find both the latter too 'bright' for my tastes, although in the case of the LO, I find it not only 'bright', but 'light', as well. I'd play the GM in prefernece to the LO, but the I find the sound  harsh nevertheless.
RD

>>> "John F. Potts" <hvyj@xxxxxxx> 22/12/08 8:45 AM >>>
After using my new Suzuki Fabulous in C for a few live performances,
i have concluded that the basic tone of the instrument is fairly
BRIGHT.  While it is possible to get a darker tone with hand
technique and embouchure, the player really has to work at it and
maintain reasonably intense discipline to do it.  The first time i
tried, this was no problem since i was all fired up about putting the
instrument through its paces and I was bearing down on trying
different playing techniques to see how the Fabulous would respond.
But, after playing the fabulous at gigs on a routine basis, I'm not
sure i like working that hard to approximate the dark tone i am able
to get from my Suzuki Hammonds with minimal effort.  So, while i
still like the Fabulous, FWIW, the basic tonal characteristics of the
instrument are  brighter than what one might conclude from reading
the description in my earlier posts.
	JP