[Harp-L] Re: Seydel models? Which one to get?

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Ron. I do hold off anymore from responding right away, because Seydel is getting well known in the United States, so I let others voice opinions and try to reserve myself for more factual things, unless there's no response from others, but I can't remember and instance of that. Everybody knows I like Seydel anyway. The 1847 is available in a solid plastic comb (it's just like a traditional sandwich-style wood comb, only it's a tough polymer, reminds me of the stuff they made those indestructable Tonka toy trucks I couldn't destroy as a kid).  The plastic comb (1847 Silver) has square teeth that are level with the reedplates, while the wood comb comes above it at a slight arc. I actually prefer the plastic comb construction (Looking over shoulder for lightning), it feels better to me when I do tongue-block octaves, but really, both are nice.

The 1847 is not available in an aluminum comb. BUT, the aluminum comb from the Favorite will fit it and it is available separately for like $20. The bolt patterns, everything matches up.
I'll take this opportunity to elaborate on Seydel part interchangeablity. The parts are readily available on all but the Solist (which complete is only $25 anyway). On the Seydels there are the following familes of diatonic harps:

Solist Pro Family, I call it the Solist Pro family because the Pro was the first of this line and the Solist Pro was built to attach to this new comb they designed, it was one of the first things Seydel did after the 2004 rebirth. The reedplates, coverplates and combs are interchangeable. This family includes the 1847, 1847 SIlver, Solist Pro and the Favorite, along with the Favorite Black, which, from my experience, is in this family, but the child of the milkman. Perhaps the bolt pattern has changed, but in my experience, the Favorite Black is interchangeable for me, except the bolt near the No. 2 hole is slightly off. The differences between 1847 wood and Solist Pro combs are cosmetic only, and only on the outside.

The bolt pattern for this family matches the drift pin pattern of the East German area Bandmaster diatonic, which had a plastic comb. You just have to tap out the reedplates, though, cause the drift pins were smaller. I've got one of these DDR Bandmasters that I'm trying to do something with, I put a Solist Pro comb on it. The DDR Bandmaster coverplates will fit the Solist Pro family. I've got two Favorites with Randy Sandoval Corian combs, which he makes for the 1847/Solist Pro family now, and they have Bandmaster covers on the front and Favorite Black covers on the back, it's a pretty cool look. The reedplates are interchangeable, the reeds not always, especially on harps higher than D. The 1847 reedplates are all long slot, instead of short slot on standard D and above.

Session- It's its own family because of the recessed reedplates. It is a cousin of the Solist Pro family, since the coverplates are interchangeable with the Solist Pro family. The Session coverplates and Favorite are the same style of coverplate.

Solist family - an old family with one sole surviving heir. The parts of the Solist are interchangeable with nothing Seydel makes today. I've yet to blow out a reed on prewar Bandmaster and had to put one in, but my comparisons indicate they are the same reeds. The reeds should also fit the Nightingale... I'd really like to get a Nightingale in, one of these days when I get some $$$ ahead, I'll track one down.
The Solist, until 2006, was nailed, and until 2007, unsealed. Now they are all sealed and screwed. The unsealed ones are gone, the only one sold now is screwed and sealed. In the period from 2006 - 2007, Seydel played around with at least three different screw configurations, a seven-screw and two eight screws. I guess they picked the one that worked the best, personally, I'm a big fan of the nailed Solist, but I've never played them stock, really.

Big Six - It's it's own thing. Comes only in C, but the reeds are different. It's a short-slot C_________________________________
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com