[Harp-L] Re: Sonnytone - Gurney elements - Chris R

Gary/Sonnytone/Sonny Jr... WHAT???  You've already  "discredited" me.
Nowhere on my website, or for that matter in my  'Harp Mic Buyers Guide', do I
mention that I repair or refurbish microphone  elements (that is not one of my
specialties), much the less claim that my  elements are the best out there.  I
have never, ever, stated, written,  or even implied anything of the sort.  All
are welcome  to visit and see for themselves.
_http://home.comcast.net/~bluzeharp/site/?/home/_ (http://home.comcast.net/~bluzeharp/site/?/home/)

Wondering why you would insert this onto harp-l prior  to contacting me off
list?  Especially so after reading your  comment from the same post: "A public
forum is not the way to  work out any issues", which seems a self admission
(but perhaps  not) that an issue has indeed already been created.  It at  least
looks like you as a competitor wished to  create said issue where none
existed, generated doubt of my  credibility via a barely veiled public swipe, and
then in a  sneaky way imply that a public rebuttal of your  public claim would be
inappropriate... wow.  Even if you simply  misread, which seems a big
stretch, and you truly didn't  intend to cast my so called "claims" in a questionable
light,  the damage is done.  By design or not, some who saw your post will
not  see this reply and then wrongly assume that I am inclined to make such
claims, and then perhaps tell others... you done me wrong brother.

As you brought it up; I do make claims about the overall  excellence of my
'Twin Tone' microphones, but I avoid doing so on  harp-l as I think some of the
advertisements here, especially  the repetitive ones (nudge, nudge), are not
particularly  appropriate for this forum.  New product announcements and
discussion  thereof are fine, continuous marketing of the same item, or  marketing
common items such as a stock JT-30 is a different story  (anyone agree or
disagree?).  I do stand by the claims I have  actually made about my products, and
sincerely believe a 'Twin  Tone' is the pinnacle in the category of a CM or CR
based bullet,  I won't elaborate here and make my post into an ad, that is
what my website is  for.

As far as a claim of being the best, mine or anyone else's:  There are  a
handful of other very good mic fabricators, or for  that matter, amp builders or
harp customizers who indeed feel  the same about their products.  You
frequently rave about  your own right here on harp-l, often claiming your amps sound
better than everyone else's. Sure, they are great amps, and some think as  you
that they are the best, but it is clear that many great  players prefer other
products, and yet you still make the  claim.  Seems to me that you want
exclusive rights to claim  yours as best, and the additional exclusive right to
dismiss/question a similar comment by a competitor... you can't have  it both
ways.

I've no issues when people such as yourself have well  founded pride in their
products, and you shouldn't either.  For  example; I like Greg Heuman's
stuff, and have referred many to him for not only  his well made volume controls,
but also for microphones when  I have a client whose needs may be better filled
by Greg or someone else.   Each unknowing, Greg & I were in a race to build
Jason that  SM57 w/integrated volume control. Greg got one into Jason's  hands
a week or so before I showed my prototype to him  at the Lawler benefit in
Colorado, Jason already liked Greg's and that was  that.  Later met Greg at SPAH
and called him a dog for getting  there first (joking/friendly), he's a good
guy.  Met Dennis Oilleg there as  well, liked his stuff too... very nice.

Apologies to all for the length, but needed to set the record straight, at
least from my perspective.

The irony is that I've been communicating with you via  email about buying
one of your amps + a little about your  past association with Sonny Terry, I
guess you didn't make the  connection.  That leaves Harp Gear (leaning towards),
plus Meteor  & Harp King...  So thanks man, makes my decision that much
easier.  More for you if you care to engage off list.  I'm a bit  steamed but maybe
we can work it out.  If you want to try please go  back to my website and
review what is actually written before you  reply.

Christopher Richards

Twin Tone Harmonica Microphones

I continue to send my weaker CR and CM's to Chuck Gurney, who uses the  same
process as the other person on the list who does mic repair. I  can only say
that  when they come back, they are as good as they can  possibly be. I would
like to  send one to Chris for a comparison, I am  sure he does great work
too, so
I am in  no way knocking Chris  R., but to make a statement he makes the best

elements on  the planet as per his site, well, I  need to see for myself. I
will   continue to support Chuck and  many of you have already done so, but
just
like  harp builders,  everyone has their own experiences. Chris, if you can
give
me  your  email address I would like to send you one to see your work. I
will
never  discredit you no matter what happens,  I would email you personally if
was not   satisfied. A public forum is not the way to work out  any issues. I
give anyone  credit who can take apart these  complex elements and do the
detailed work. I am  expected from the harp  community to supply a perfect
product,
so my standards  are high from  other people of their craft. Greg Heumann is
another person who  can  supply a full mic for you, I am waiting for my SM58
sent to him for   conversion to high Z and volume control on the middle of
the
mic. I will  report  it when I get it. I have reached my limit this month for
my
product  endorsements, but next month I will have great news for  everyone.
Sonny Jr.
Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.