[Harp-L] My Only Holiday Gig: Kamikaze Blues Karaoke takes a test ride....

I haven't been doing much gigging as of late but I did score one
interesting/fun gig that let me explore an idea that I have had brewing
around for a while. I was asked to play host, DJ and jam master at a
Christmas party. The guy that hired me is a harp student and he is a real
blues fanatic. My instructions for DJ'ing were to only spin the blues and I
was very happy to oblige! I have built up an awesome CD collection of da
blues with much of it of the harmonica persuasion. This is how the main
agenda transpired: when I arrived I set up my PA system with 4 microphones
along with IPOD/CD player hook-ups. When the guests arrived (40 or so) I
just let the blues tunes fly. What an honor to share my collection with a
bunch of 20-30-40 something rock n roll heads. This was my first set list of
artists; Jason Ricci, Kim Wilson, Lester Butler, Little Walter, George
Smith, Musselwhite, Butterfield, Jimmy Gordon and some Slide Man Slim to
smooth things out a bit!..As the night progressed and the group started
getting lubricated by the spirits I then gave each attendee a brand new
Hohner Blues Band harp in C. Then I started playing backing track CD's that
I have but only playing those in the key of G. This is where the kamikaze
blue karaoke starts to happen. I gave a very brief and simple "lesson" to
the crowd. Basically showing them the "3 bases" of the blues on their newly
acquired axe's. Then I just stepped away and let the masses take over! For
the next few hours people came up in groups and as solos and made up their
own words to the tracks. That along with some serious amateur harp honking
made for an incredible fun and laugh filled good time!

Now some of you may cringe at what I just shared. It wasn't anything but a
good time and the guests had a blast! So what that everybody's name was
"Gus"!  Perhaps the coolest part of the festivities were the smiling faces
on MANY of the folks. There was a genuine thrill and excitement for
receiving their very own harmonica from Santa. What was real interesting was
how a few of the guys really got into it. When the right key tune is playing
even a total newbie can "accidentally"  hit some hot notes! Some of the made
up lyrics were hilarious. So that's what I did for gigs this Christmas! Four
hours of fun and 400 greenbacks in my pocket. The host picked up the tab for
the harps!

Happy New Year All.

Warren Bee