[Harp-L] Jazz Harp By Richard Hunter

Hi All,

Recently one of my students suggested I write a book about jazz harp because he thought there wasn't one out there.  So, I got him to buy Richard Hunter's "Jazz Harp" as I knew that it was out there and, knowing Richard, I was sure it would be good.

My student lent me the book this week and I got a chance to read it and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I haven't gone through all the transcriptions yet with the CD - because they are numerous and challenging - but I have read through all the written sections and I must say that Richard really did an incredible job.

I recommend this book for all my students and anyone who wants to learn some jazz harp.  There is enough material here to keep you busy for quite a while.  It isn't something you just "go through", but something you return to so you can absorb the finer points over a long period of time.  It is full of cool transcriptions, an interview with Toots, all kinds of scales and exercises (I know Ugh!), huge amounts of discography and Bibliography and more ;-).  Richard's discussions on basic harmony and basic jazz forms come together to be one of the most elegant descriptions of jazz theory that I have ever read.

You can learn a lot from this book and keep learning for years to come.  I have adopted it as my standard "textbook" on harmonica jazz.  If you actually go through this book from beginning until end and do all the transcriptions (we'll see how I do) you will KNOW something about jazz harp and it will SHOW.  Thank you Richard and tell us where to buy it!

Michael