Re: [Harp-L] Subject: re: Playing for Change: Stand By Me

Grandpa Elliott, aka Ben Smalls, has been blowing harp in the French
Quarter of New Orleans as long as I can remember, so at least since my
first visit there in 1991.   He had 2 acts.  He would play in a duo
whose musical style was reminiscent of Jimmy Reed, with him playing
cross harp and the two players improvising comedy.  He would pretend
to be much less intelligent than he was for this comedy act, somehow
causing his Marty Feldmanesque eyes to roll around as he talked.

Then there was his solo act which I found musically more satisfying.
He is a GREAT straight harp player, able to play nearly any melody and
put in subtle nuances to make each song special.  He was very
influential to me when I was 21, living in New Orleans to learn how to
play harp.

Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com