Subject: [Harp-L] Little Stevie Wonder

Hi Venky:

That young guy would of course, be Julian Davis...one of the Young at Harp
SPAH crew.  This year I believe he 'ages out' of their 'club', since their
cut-off is 18? Kaleena or Julian could probably clarify this further.
But...Julian himself would probably not wish to be known purely as a 'little
Stevie'...even though he definitely learned his playing from and has Stevie  Wonder's
style down...one of the few who seem to be able to play that style
well....like you I really enjoyed listening to him.  It was distinctive and  head-turning.

Julian is a jazz fan, has studied with Wynton Marsalis (from what I  remember
of one of our conversations)...and was very present during the Jazz  Jams.
The kid can do a lot more than Stevie's style, though....I could  hear at this
SPAH (he also came to SPAH 2007), where he was paying very good  attention to
lots of other Jazz chromatic players and expanding his style,  listening to
other instrumentalists: trumpet, sax and the like. The kid has  chops and is
definitely someone to watch. Isn't it fun to see a great  young guy like him take
up the reins? I'm thrilled too.

 I managed to record quite a bit of his playing..at both SPAH's....now  if
only I was able to get last year's mini-tapes, and this year's DVD's duped,  I'd
have them up somewhere for others to hear him and see just who he  is...
but, am still dealing with my shoulder injury...recovery is  very slow, so I
haven't been able to work on the duping as much as I'd have  liked.  I will, asap.

Elizabeth
P.S.  If I'd known you were sitting in at that local gig, I'd have  somehow
managed to have gotten you on tape too...really sorry to  have missed it :)

Message: 15