Re: [Harp-L] You never know who Gus is is

Ken Deifik <kenneth.d@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The term 'Gus' seems to be morphing in this discussion, and perhaps not
profitably.  The Harp-l Lexicon has coined so few new words that it is
worth keeping them well-defined.

absolutely.

When Gus first got applied it referred to that bonehead in the audience
who pulled a harp out and played, from the audience, during a set.
Usually a very inept non-musician and black-belt imbecile.

that was certainly my understanding of when i first encountered the term. recently someone reposted the post that launched the term, though, and it
was a little fuzzier, as that gus did both i thought. nonetheless, i agree
that this ought to be the standard definition.

If a real harp player politely asks to sit in, and it is agreed that he
may, and he plays well, he isn't gussing - by my goofy reckoning he's
sitting in.  When he doesn't play as well as you, by YOUR goofy
reckoning, you are invited to blow him off the stage...

well, i figure if you decide to let him up, you take the consequences, good or bad. if he's not any good, he gets to finish the song, you thank him and shuffle him off the stage, making a mental note to be more careful next time. but you still want to be gracious about it. it's not his fault you made a bad decision (assuming he wasn't misrepresenting his ability).

--
Optimism and pessimism don't exist for me.
I'm a blues man.  I am a prisoner of hope.