From: Jim Greenwald <staggerin@xxxxxxxxx>
To: David Payne <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Harp L Harp L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 3, 2008 5:42:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] First Position Blues Solos?/ listen to Gwen Foster

Hi All

Thanks David for a great post. I too am a big fan of Gwen Foster's, and much in awe of his musical skills. I have one correction though, re: his second position recordings. He has THREE in total: 'Sideline Blues' (Ashley & Foster, 1933), 'Drunk Man Blues' (Blue Ridge Entetainers, 1931), and 'How Many Biscuits Can I Eat' (Gwen Foster, 1939).

I don't have Tony's original post to refer to, but I think he wanted a list of the best first position Blues. Don't have a 'real' list to offer, but can add to a virtual list by mentioning the four sides by Blues Birdhead (James Simons) under his own name and The Bubbling Over Five - in the style of trumpet Jazz/Blues. Also add Rhythm Willie  - on his own and as a sideman.

All "Old' stuff for sure, but these guys were able to play the music of THEIR TIMES very well on the harp. We can only imagine what a waste it would have been if they were hung up trying to sound like guys from the 1880s ??

Cheers,
Staggerin' Jim
Listen to Roots Harmonica at http://www.live365.com/stations/staggerinjim
 dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx