RE: [Harp-L] The Top Three Holes

> Hi Bob,
> Two years ago in the harmonica workshop at Willie Clancy, Rick Epping
> mentioned that some players have problems in getting the top notes to
> function, because they are choking off their airways and consequently not
> creating an appropriate acoustic chamber. He pointed out that trying to play
> a mouth organ "just with your mouth" is like wiring fiddle strings to a 2X4
> and expecting to get a violin sound. He suggested that you try to get your
> airways the way they are when you are yawning. You also (as someone else has
> said) should breathe rather than blowing the heck out of them. Having a
> personal talent for making the most expensive mouth organ sound like a dime
> store item I am no expert, but I have found that Rick's advice seems to
> work.
> Beannachtaí
> Aongus Mac Cana

Of course, lurking at the back of your mind may be the fact that the note layout at the top end is different than lower down on a diatonic harp.  If you play Irish melodies an awful lot like me you soon learn to deal with this.  In fact I have the opposite problem of readjusting to a chrom on the few occasions I resort to one.  I need to just practise more on the chrom top end - it should be easy as it's the same as lower down, but my obstinate diatonic muscle memory automatically kicks in when I'm up there.  The human brain is a mysterious and annoying thing at times!

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
http://www.searchgamesbox.com