[Harp-L] The Argonne M131 Crystal Microphione

I have an "untested"(meaning not working) one I bought on eBay
cheaply last year just out of curiosity. I thought at the time I
could at least get some use out of the shell. I was wrong. It is a
large and heavy shell. I have medium sized hands, and hold JT30s and
Green Bullets comfortably, but the Argonne seems too massive for me
and uncomfortably heavy. Of course, I cannot speak for it's tone, or
if Big Walter Horton actually used it. Perhaps he had huge hands.

When I can say is that some of the great harp players of the past
used all kinds of mics, usually whatever they could get hold of or
whatever the club had available. SO whenever someone finds a picture
of Little Walter playing a this or that mic, it doesn't constitute an
endorsement of it. One famous pic of Little Walter shows him playing
a Shure Slim-X. I have one and it isn't such a great harp mic at all,
IMHO. Same is probably true for Big Walter Horton.

- Robert

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs