RE: [Harp-L] Tom Ball Author

Todd Dahl wrote:
To Tom or anyone who can answer this,

I have been lurking on websites that have some of Tom's books. Namely:

*Sourcebook of Little Walter/Big Walter Licks for Blues
Harmonica*<http://www.amazon.com/Sourcebook-Little-Walter-Licks-Harmonica/dp/157424096X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202235532&sr=8-2>

and specifically

*The Sourcebook of Sonny Terry Licks for
Harmonica*<http://www.amazon.com/Sourcebook-Sonny-Terry-Licks-Harmonica/dp/1574240188/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202235532&sr=8-3>

I have never physically seen either of these so I am hesitant to buy being I
don't know what the contents of them are. Is there any websites out there
show or anybody who could list the table of contents of what these books
cover? Any information would be great.

Hi Todd,

Thanks for asking about these. In both cases, the books start out with short bios, a remedial overview of basic harp, a discussion of the artist's styles, equipment, harps, etc; then it gets into licks themselves. There are also discographies.

The tablature used in mapping out the licks is the simple numbers-and-arrows tab. (There is no standard sheet music.) All the licks are played on the accompanying CD so you can hear how they're supposed to sound. Because these are Hal Leonard titles, they're well-distributed, so I'd suggest checking them out first at your local music shop.

Due to a rather obvious conflict-of-interest, I really can't comment much further on these. <g> If there's anybody out there who liked 'em, I thank you. If there's anybody out there who didn't, ummm..... remember what your mother told you: "If you can't say something nice about somebody......." :)

cheers and beers,
TB
http://www.tomball.us
http://www.myspace.com/tomballkennysultan