[Harp-L] Tope register squeal on Lee Oskars

I decided to focus on the over blow and other notes in the LO upper
register to confirm the squeal issue. I used my favorite D harp to test.

Actually it sounds more like a very high ring overtone and it easily drove
my cat from the room. However, as the instrument warmed up it did it less. I
made it go away by opening up my armature through raising the soft pallet
and dropping my tongue a bit. This increased the volume in my mouth. The
final touch was to ease up on the blow a little so that I
wouldn't  overdrive the reed. I had to rehearse it bit to be able to nail it
each time but the ring/squeal went away.

I thought someone mentioned that the upper notes raise in pitch if you over
blow them. I found the 7, 8, 9 and 10 holes consistently dropped in pitch
when overblown. I could hit the 8 and 9 holes bent on the attack and then
lip up to pitch without too much trouble. However the 10 hole is a bit more
challenging and the 7 is not as responsive as 8 and 9.

Ain't no harm in teaking the instrument to make the squeal go away, but
adapting technique may get the same results. It kind of reminds me of
acoustic guitars. A Martin plays very differently from a Taylor and I've
found that I buzz the frets less on a Taylor. If I where a better guitar
player with strong hands, the buzzing frets on the Martin would go away for
sure.

Gary Popenoe
garypopenoeandco.com

P.S. I think I'm not liking the term "overblow." That is if I understand how
you guys are using the term. It implies to me that I must blow harder to get
the bend. To me blowing harder means I squeeze the air out of your lungs
with geater force.  By contrast, getting bends for me is more like adjusting
the nozzel on my garden hose. Same amount of water pressure from the spigot,
but different shape of nozzle. The key for me is diaphram support. I must
have consistent stable foundation combined with measured air release in
order to have control in my mouth and throat for bends and vibrato.