[Harp-L] I want to be famous

Iceman wrote:Wanting to become famous is the wrong thing to focus on.

  I feel like this is a real judgemental statement even if I tend to agree with you.  Mike Kennard has a dream and I think it is a valid one and a human one. Perhaps he will succeed where others have not.  He at least takes the Mandela quote seriously about how many are afraid of shining their light.  Let it shine.   There are many people who are famous or use becoming famous as the driving force in their life.  Some are happy, some are not.  Although it is clear fame does not guarantee happiness, why is that motive so horrible?

  I have many motives for music playing.  Spiritual connection to my fellow man, glorification of God, love of the sound, love of the energy, making people happy, women were a big motive before I got married, making a living, challenging myself intellectually and physically and yes, becoming famous.

  After watching the two (in my opinion) famous younger harp players, Ricci and Gruenling,  it is clear that I am too lazy to achieve the dream. 5 years ago I had a band where we did the kind of work required for success.  70 hours a week for two years definitely upped my recognition around Texas.  It also drove me a little crazy and I quit for a more homebody lifestyle.  I have more peace with that than ever, but I still feel pangs of desire for more.  I also feel ego gratification when someone recognizes me for my work. Does this make me less pure than the musician who does not care about fame?  I do not think so.  I am a different person than they are.

  To the Mike Kennards of the world, be true to yourself even if others do not understand your path.  You at least have the power to do anything other people have done and might hold the potential towards evolving one step further.

  Michael Rubin
  Michaelrubinharmonica.com