Re: [Harp-L] harp-l virtual compilation

I was wondering if there was any way to create a virtula harp-l compitlation.
The last "real" one did not manifest to say the least.
Anybody got any ideas?

A number of us thought this'd be a great idea for us back in the '90's, and it wouldn't have been technically hard even back then. Now it'd be a total snap.

However, the possibility of this leads me to some ideas for making this much more useful, though I think a straightforward one-song-per-player site would be a great way to start. Especially if one could switch out one's own piece now and then, say once a month. That way it wouldn't get stagnant. Every month on the first of the month you could check and see who's got something new up. That sounds like fun to me.

This gets me to thinking about Digg and del.icio.us and Reddit. Those are 'social news' sites where members vote on the news of the day and the most popular stories get voted up to the top. (There's alot more to these sites, but what I just described is what I like about them.) It happens that there are a number of websites that make it pretty simple to start your own social news site. I believe Mark Andreesen, who headed the team that created Netscape, has such a website. This technology is free.

I think it might be neat to be able to vote for your favorite pieces every month. There could be charts, like Most Popular Piece Added In The Last 30 Days, or 60 or ever. There could be a chart All The Number One's This Year. One could make personal playlists and then upload them for others. One could slice and dice, as in Favorite Originals, Favorite Covers (since no money is changing hands rights become less of an issue).

There's so much to be learned from this kind of endeavor. If you're not quite at the professional level and are trying to improve, I can hardly imagine a better way of sharpening up than by listening to the recordings that got higher on the charts than yours, and trying to just outdo the ones that were a little higher than you. (I'm a serious advocate of competition as a way of improving your work.)

Every piece would also include a link to the player's website.

Further, we could save most bandwidth costs by simply uploading our tunes to YouTube and then linking on our site. Then YouTube pays the bandwidth costs.

THAT BEING SAID: I don't have time to set this up. If anyone thinks this kind of thing would be interesting AND has time and the computer skills to work on this, I have put the idea out there.