Subject: [Harp-L] "exploiting" the media/famous

Great post, Dave...I can assure you that Jason Ricci treats everyone he has
a conversation with exactly the same way.  So he wasn't being especially  nice
to you as a member of the Press doing a story on him.  You saw the  real
guy...one of my main reasons for liking him as much as I do.  That was  just Jason
being himself...He loves talking harp with anyone who shares his  interest,
and enjoys meeting people.  The first time I went to see him  play he treated
me (and Warren Bee, also in attendance that night) exactly that  way too...we
were old friends immediately, with our Harp-l connection in  common...and we've
all been friends ever since.

Great story...and I completely agree with you.  Why is it so many  people
think civility is outdated?  Personality and likeability get you a  lot further
in life.   For everyone else with an attitude  -  buy an ad.   ;)

Elizabeth

"Message: 7
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 15:24:39 -0800 (PST)
From: David  Payne <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Harp L Harp L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

Been a lot of mention of the media in this  famous thread. I've heard the
word exploit the media, use the media. I'm a  member of the media and I have
interviewed tons of folks, Charlie McCoy, Michael  Martin Murphey, Kelly Pickler,
senators, governors, whatever. There is a huge  bIues community in Marietta,
with two huge events drawing a lot of big names, I  meet a lot of musicians in
my journalistic capacity. I can't even begin to  remember, but that
illustrates a point, remember when you talk to the media,  they are not usually as
impressed with fame as your fans.
One of my media  maxiums is this: people are, as a rule, grossly
overimpressed by their own  importance. Why do I say that? Cause people try to use me all
the time. I get  this a lot from local bands. Who gets the ink? Honestly, when
it's up to me, and  music in the news is something that so off radar from the
main newspaper  endeavors that it is basically up to me, or up to some writer
peon like me, it's  going to be who I like. That might be whose music I like,
it might be  personality. Personality will win over anything. You need to be
friendly, you  need to be gracious. If you're not willing to do that, buy an
ad.

When  Jason Ricci comes to town, as far as I'm concerned, he can have
whatever I'm  allowed to do. Talent, phenomenol, but he's more than that. He'll talk
to you  like a human being and does not come off souding like a braying
jackass. I think  this is most important, he is not overimpressed by his own
importance. He is a  mastermind of media relations, whether he does this
intentionally, or simply is  being himself, is irrevelent. He treats you with respect.
When you interview  Jason RIcci, it's like talking to an old friend from Scout
camp. I had trouble  during my interviews with Jason remembering that he was
Jason Ricci. The only  other musician I've met that's Jason's equal in that
department is Watermelon  Slim.

Now, Kelly Pickler is about as big right now as you can get with  all this
American Idol crap and whatnot, but I had no clue who she was when I  met her.
She was nice and sweet. I still ain't buying her records, but she got a
helluva story out of me.

Another guy like Ricci that can write his own  ticket as far as I'm concerned
is Watermelon Slim. He's unfreakingbelieveable.  He has this sincerity like
Ricci and he's into all this oddball stuff. The guy  looks like he fell off a
turnip truck, but he's a freakin' genius. Watermelon  was in town a few years
ago and we had actually set up the interview down on the  Ohio River for some
fishing before his show. There is no academic subject you  could stump
Watermelon on. I was talking to Fruteland Jackson and Fruteland says  "You know he
reads Shakespeare? I was in the hotel working out and Watermelon  was over there
talking about Shakespeare."
Waternelon'll lay it down, too. I  remember vividly helping him smoke some of
his unfiltered Pall Malls talking  about his preoccupation with his own
death. WE talked about fishing some more.,  harps, women, terrorism (he's got some
interesting views there).

My  point is Watermelon, Jason Ricci, Charlie McCoy, all treated me like a
human  being. Some of the ones I can't remember.... Some of the musicians who
were rude  to me, or presented themselves as though I were a pest or something
to be used  ... their stories were likely short and probably sucked.

Dave

Dave Payne Sr.
Elk RIver  Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com"