Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: 7-10/ Now - Harmonica players as sidemen

Bob writes (major snip):

"I am of the opinion that harmonica has a great place as a  supportive
instrument. As far as I'm concerned, the jury's out on whether it  belongs in
"the lead". What DOES belong "in the lead", is the music, the  groove, the
mood, the feeling, not just the notes."

.Of  course you're absolutely entitled to your opinion, but coming  from a
harmonica player, this statement just floors me.

....taking the risk that you're 'just kidding' again, surely you canNOT be
serious?  Would you tell Toots Thielemans that all these years he's been
mistakenly 'playing lead', and belongs only as a sideman?

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JalSofa7KDQ_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JalSofa7KDQ)

is his playing here any different whatsoever than something a sax or  trumpet
player would do....as the 'lead'?

...and he seems quite able to play the guitar lines along with  Jaco....which
is what helps makes this clip so incredible...I could put a dozen  clips of
his playing here, all good, better, best of this man playing  lead.

...or Robert Bonfiglio for that matter? - playing LEAD with orchestras
worldwide?

(there are no YouTube videos of Robert...but I have all of his CD's...and
his playing lead not just on classical tunes, but on so many of the songs I grew
 up on and loved, is what turned me on to his music)....

or Charlie McCoy?

have you heard Orange Blossom Special played his way?  Is that a  'sideman'
style?

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeEhXc-z7D4_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeEhXc-z7D4)

and this isn't an 'old' clip...it's taken from one of his trips to Japan in
2004..where he shows he ain't lost a thing...still has that swing ;)   Charlie
played this, his signature song just as incredibly well at SPAH in
...2005(?)...as well as Shenandoah..and so many other beautifully played and  moving
songs, as lead...with his back-up band.

sheesh...   ;)

or were you only talking about harmonica players who focus on Blues?

Perhaps part of the problem is that too many beginning blues harmonica
players focus only on learning 'riffs' the way their heroes did...don't want to
actually learn to play full songs..or instrumental pieces from beginning to
end.  If one asks them to actually play a song..they're lost.

One can only be a lead if you can get up there and either sing or  play an
instrument (any instrument),  taking a song or instrumental from  beginning to
end. Most chromatic players do just that...as do most of  the Country music
players I've heard...and perhaps therein lies the  disparity....and why the Blues
(and Blues/Rock) players who DO do that stand  out so much from the crowd.

Elizabeth

48)