Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-l] Re: 7-10/ Now - Harmonica players as sidemen

On Feb 10, 2008, at 8:55 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

Well, thanks for that SmoJoe. Appreciate you realizing I was focusing more on why some harmonica players may be thought of as 'only sidemen'.

Some players concentrate on melodies. Some concentrate on methods. I can't speak for anyone else, but in my case, I started playing chromo FIRST. Then a few years later, I picked up diatonic. Ergo: I was already used to playing melodies, and therefore, I continued to do so. THIS is why I wound up 'cutting' reeds back in 59. I was looking for those missing notes. Notes which the chromo HAD.

Now then there are diatonic players who started with diatonic and because of it's limitations, had to work very very hard to learn techniques and methods INSTEAD of being able to do melodies straight away. They studied the old masters of the diatonic and learned to do things that I can only dream of.

I NEVER studied ANY harmonica players. I listened to tunes, and I did them. Simple as that. I can't tell you how SB, LW, ST, JW, PB, WC, RP, GHS, or ANY of those guys do what they do. I never paid attention to that. I never paid attention to blues. I paid attention to notes.

I in no way intended to 'castigate' your take on harmonica playing, Bob, nor was I remotely 'dragging you to the gallows' for having a difference of opinion to my own....geez...I thought I'd made it clear enough to you long before this that I'm a fan of your definitely outre sense of humour? Did you perhaps miss the 'smileys'?

It seems at times that any time someone says anything that can even remotely be of a denegrating nature aimed towards blues players or players who play riffs and runs, and not full tunes, that people get very passionate. Maybe too passionate. I saw no such inference. I also don't complain when, although this is a harmonica list, 87.358046% of the posts refer to diatonics.

....I sought merely to point out that this might well be a possible reason why many blues players 'might' be looked upon as 'sidemen' instead of as lead players, while using a couple of famous 'other style' harmonica players as good examples of those who seem to function very well indeed in the harmonica world while playing lead quite satisfactorily.

That's all I saw too. Just an example. Not an indictment.

So while I still feel I'm very much at a disadvantage by not having grown up learning any chromatic or diatonic techniques, methods, 'riffs' and very basic playing knowledge just about everyone else seems to know... I do think players who focus solely on one OR the other, leave themselves at a distinct disadvantage, and might even contribute to furthering the impression to other musicians of the idea that a harmonica (any kind) is not a 'serious' instrument.

Over the years, numerous players have sat in with groups that I have played with. They can do wonderful work on rhythm and fill, but , so far, NONE has been able to do the 'head' of a tune. I have to go to spah or buckeye to hear that. Some players just CAN't DO IT. And I think that learning the great runs & riffs is fantastic. I know that this is MY weak point. But runs and riffs aren't everything either.

And I'm not letting chromatic players off the hook either...a badly played chromatic is as much an instrument of torture to my ears as is any other.

Absolutely, Nothing worse than a crappy chromo player. smokey-joe

Elizabeth