Re: [Harp-L] fame

Yeah your right. It hasn't been since Larry Adler's hayday that there hasn't been a Super Star for the harmonica.
Richard Hayman achieved some stardom with Ruby. I don't think he wanted that life and became a big time arranger.
The Harmonica Rascals had some stardom as well as the harmonicats. Hell Philadelphia was harmonica heaven at one
time.

I'm not sure if this is still true but sometimes you need  that one tune that catches fire.
Imagine if that was you playing on the theme to titanic instead of recorder.
Myself I'm making a small music video to help pull the group I'm with up a notch.
If I can think of something that would help you I'll pass it along.

Diggs

>>> "groovy gypsy" <groovygypsy@xxxxxxxxx> 02/10/08 21:10 PM >>>
I was recently flipping channels and came across a concert with Chris Botti.
My wife says "you could be doing that and your music is much more
captivating" She's right.
Some people want aspire to be a great musician or to play with a famous
musician. I've already accomplished that. What I haven't accomplished is
touring the world and having thousands of people come to hear my music and
millions of people buy my CDs.

Hate him all you want but nearly everyone of you has heard of Kenny G. Who
in the harmonica world has that amount of recognition? Kenny has defied the
musical barriers and has litterally become a household name. The world of
harmonica doesn't have a "superstar" why? Some will say that perhaps Stevie
Wonder could be classified as such but he's not a pure harmonica player,
he's a musician that applies his genius to the harmonica.

What I believe is needed is somebody who can crossover into the pop world.
Who do you know that has the ability to do that? Who has a sound that can
add to pop music? Not ANY of the major blues players IMO.  Bonfilio
definitely could but that not his focus. There are other players in both the
diatonic and chromatic world that have had opportunities but because of
personality and or character issues they have failed.

Think how each and every one of you would benefit from a person that has
gained credible notoriety in the music world?  The harmonica world needs
somebody to light the way for the instrument to jump from the toy box to the
arsenal of top shelf musical producers. I find it very interesting that
almost all of you rolled your eyes at the possibility that I could actually
be a good player before you heard the sample. Is it really true that so many
of you hold such low expectations for your chosen instrument? I put it out
there for anyone to judge and not one negative comment came back. You are
should be the most critical so, if that little sample passes your ear then
it should be a breeze to "wow" the mainstream.

I mentioned before I believe in the power of community. If there is one guy
that can make it why not help that person achieve the goal for the greater
good of yourself and the instrument? If you believe I'm the guy then I
humbly and respectfully ask for your help.  If the consensus thing it's
somebody else then let's as a community help that person. It's been proven
the harmonica is a legitimate instrument capable of expression in all genres
of music, so let's not allow it to sit in the dark any longer. Help me
become famous and I will light the way for all those that want to follow.
thank you. gg