[Harp-L] Harmonica players as sidemen

At one of the recent Virginia Harmonica Fests (a couple of years ago),
I talked the various club members into inviting Mr. Bob Albergotti to
give a blues harp seminar. I had known and admired Bob's playing
for some time. He was a sideman with Tim Morgan and the Mojo
Brothers, and also with the Blues Impacts. He has great chops and
tone. He put on a really good blues seminar, getting some great
backing from Doug Puls of Coast-to-Coast Music (who also is a really
good harp player and teacher; I think Doug's fantastic skills on guitar
accompaniment for harp players is founded at least in part on his
knowledge and skill as a harp player).

Bob and I sat out in the audience during one of the open jam sessions.
I was absolutely stunned when this really great blues player said that
he had never played the melody line, and wished he knew how to do
it! I made a few suggestions that seemed to help, because in no time
at all, he was belting out melodies with the best of them. He was not
familiar with the typical song repertoire (based in large part on old
standards from the heyday of the harmonica, circa 1940s), but he
still got the hang of it in a matter of minutes. (Hopefully, no one will
diss me for that remark; I LOVE the songs from the heydays - and I
also love the blues!) Bob was and is a diatonic player, but it would take
very little time for him to acquire the skills to play ANYTHING.

Like Elizabeth, I was just not prepared for someone that I considered
a harp "idol" to have a "hole" (so to speak) in his bag of tricks. It
obviously had nothing to do with his skill level and everything to do
with his personal interests, and the direction he had decided to go in
his playing.

Viva la difference!
Crazy Bob