Re: [Harp-L] Volume control issues--clarification

<The element 'sees' both resistances together, as the overall impedance.>
I should have said that when you have two resistances in parallel, and those two resistances are unequal, the overall resistance is going to be a fraction of the ~smaller~ of the two resistances.  In the case of my 5 Meg + 1 Meg example, about 85% of the smaller resistance.  That's just electrical business as usual, but it matters a lot if the mic element needs to 'see' a big resistance to ground in order for its full output and tonal content to reach the input tube: adding a volume control ~invariably~ divides/decreases the amp's original input impedance, possibly to levels that your ear/taste will deem unacceptable for that mic element.
Talking about this stuff is sorta like talking about just intonation: I can go on at whatever absurd length, but it boils down to "Try it, and see if it works for you, whether you understand it or not,"  though I'm not sure people take that advice as seriously without the massive, incomprehensible preamble.
Stephen Schneider