[Harp-L] Re; Volume control issues

Wow - Stephen Patrick Schneider must have been writing his post while I wrote mine. Excellent stuff and I agree with all of it. Thank you Stephen! For the record, the formula for the resistance of two resistors in parallel is "R1*R2/R1+R2". I also want to re-emphasize that, as said, crystal elements are very sensitive - make every effort to get the input impedance "high enough". Magnetic elements are not - even 100K is just fine for a volume control pot. More is not always better. If you use a 1M pot on a controlled magnetic element, the input impedance will indeed be higher but the control will have all of its useful range in the first 1/8 rotation of the knob. And because these elements are strong and stand up fine to a lower resistance pot, a lower value is better.

/Greg
http://www.blowsmeaway.com