RE: [Harp-L] Subject: Re: Kris Kristofferson playing harp with/withoutthe Highwaymen

It's Mickey Raphael, probably there hanging with his boy Willie. No
mistaking that hair-do, unless Lee Oskar was in town :^)

But geez, they really murdered the song on that first link, in my
opinion. Sounded like a midi-backing track. Real karaoke like. Just goes
to show you, even with a powerhouse lineup, you aren't guaranteed a
great show. Often that many superstars getting together you get the
exact opposite, for a number of reasons. The one with Rita Coolidge was
fabulous, thanks for that.

Kristofferson to me was always the epitome of "you don't have to be a
great singer to be a famous singer". You could say that about Neil Young
and others. Kris was a great songwriter, but to me his voice was always
like nails on a chalkboard. In the one older cut he leans heavily on
Rita (now that girl can sing) and just does the right thing and tries to
harmonize a little. I felt the same way about June Carter Cash, I
couldn't stand that voice. But you see in the youtube comments some
folks feel that Kris's voice is 'breathtaking'. Ah well, to each his/her
own!

Bill Hines
Hershey, PA