[Harp-L] Any difference between controlled reluctance and controlled magnetic mics?

A while ago I took a look on Shure's Solution Database to try and find
the difference between controlled reluctance and controlled magnetic
mics.  I found the following question and answer:

====================================
----Question----
I am very interested in finding out all that I can about controlled
reluctance and controlled magnetic cartdiges for harmonica use. They
both seem to have had several different model numbers over the years.
I am told that controlled reluctance came first and controlled
magnetic replaced it (?).

First, what's the technical difference(s) between "controlled
reluctance" and "controlled magnetic"?

Second, how do the controlled reluctance and controlled magnetic
elements vary sonically (between themselves and within their own
type)?

Third, how do you identify the element's model number (ie, R5, etc)
from the part number that is printed on the square beige canvas
located on the rear of the element?

Thanks very much!

----Answer----
First, what's the technical difference(s) between "controlled
reluctance" and "controlled magnetic"?
* No difference. Different names for the same transduction principle.

Second, how do the controlled reluctance and controlled magnetic
elements vary sonically (between themselves and within their own
type)?
* There is no difference between the two. See the answer above.

Third, how do you identify the element's model number (ie, R5, etc)
from the part number that is printed on the square beige canvas
located on the rear of the element?
* Best to ask this question of THE antique harmonic mic expert. Send
an email to: tomsmics@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Shure's engineering documents on these very old products are located
off-site in a document archive. Finding the answer would take weeks.

Any harp mic builder/customizer/gurus know the answer?  Is there
really a difference and is the info of the difference (like model
numbers) "located off-site in a document archive" and "Finding the
answer would take weeks"?

Regards,
Jason G.

This e-mail is subject to the Telkom SA electronic communication legal notice, available at :
http://www.telkom.co.za/TelkomEMailLegalNotice.PDF