[Harp-L] Cosmic Alignment?

Maybe it was the total eclipse of the moon.  Maybe it was just good
fortune...

Last night I had the distinct pleasure of sitting in with Dale Spalding
on his otherwise solo gig at a little bar in north Austin.  Dale had
invited me out, describing himself as a "passable" guitarist, and
saying we'd just have some fun and there likely wouldn't be anyone
there to hear us.

Dale really underrepresented his guitar work!  He skillfully navigated
the guitar, while at the same time singing (occasionally in Spanish!)
and belting out some tasty harp licks in a neck rack.  When I arrived
there was practically no one there, and he immediately invited me up to
play.  Dale covers the most eclectic, fun repertoire of music I've ever
gotten to play.  We did Merle Haggard and Rodney Crowell, we did Little
Feat and Greatful Dead, we did the Coasters and Tom Wait.  I haven't
had that much fun in years.

By the end of the evening, the place was packed, and people were
singing along, buying us beers, back slapping and complimenting, and
the tip jar was overbrimming.  Dale is a top-notch entertainer, and I
was along for the ride!  I couldn't help dwelling on the fact that I
was sharing the stage with someone who recorded with Pancho Sanchez and
Ray Charles!

At the other end of town in deep south Austin, my friend Sloppy was
playing a jam in the presence of none other than James Cotton!  James
paid him some hefty compliments and both of us ended our nights with
big egos!  Was it the total lunar eclipse?  I don't know, but I hope I
don't have to wait until 2010 for that experience again.

-tim