Re: [Harp-L] Second reed failure on a Suzuki Fire Breath

Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

my first Fire Breath, in C, had a complete failure on the blow 4 reed after only a few hours of playing. I have now had a similar failure, this time on the draw 5 reed, on the Bb instrument.
it's pretty disconcerting when reeds go straight from fine to failed without passing through slightly-out-of-tune first or otherwise giving any warning. It's especially disconcerting because it generally takes me years to blow out a reed on a Lee Oskar.

i don't know if this relates (different models. maybe different reeds?), but i had 2 suzuki bluesmasters die on me last fall. they were less than a year old, and both failed all at once, like richard's. i don't play my harps real hard, and my other harps are years old and still playing fine. i really like the bluesmasters, even bought some more after this. but it does give me pause. we'll see how the rest of 'em last. i prefer the suzukis, but i like my old special 20's too, all of which still play great despite being 3 or more years old.

-- Optimism and pessimism don't exist for me. I'm a blues man. I am a prisoner of hope. I'm going to die full of hope. - Cornel West