Re: [Harp-L] Re: Second Reed Failure on Suzuki Firebreath

"Brendan Power" wrote:

<Thanks to Richard Hunter for posting this. Suzuki have gained a hard-won
<reputation for astonishing reed longevity (the main reason I have chosen
<to use Suzuki reedplates for the past 15 years), and it is indeed
<disconcerting to hear when an experienced player has such a problem.
 <However, there are Reasons to be Cheerful:
 <1. The Firebreath has longer-slot reeds (aimed at improved overblow
<performance) that are still new for Suzuki. I have been to the factory
<and seen the care with which the designers and craftsmen attend to reed
<profile, thickness, dimensions etc. If there is a longevity issue with
<the longer reeds I am certain that Suzuki will work hard to cure it. An
<important part of the process is getting feedback from players in lists
<such as Harp-L and Suzuki, like the other companies, takes comments like
<Richard's seriously.

There is no harp player/designer/tech in the world that I admire more than Brendan.  No lie.  If he says Suzuki is working hard on the problem, I believe it.  In my personal conversations with Suzuki techs at SPAH, I was certainly impressed by their excitement and obvious dedication to the instruments they're making.  I also saw Ken Diefik's comments on Oz Leguizamo's forthrightness on a particular manufacturing issue involving certain reeds.

As I noted in my previous post, I like the sound and playability of the Fire Breath, and I also like the design of the instrument in general--the cover plates, for example, are sleek, open at the back, and hard to crush, all three of which I like.

So I look forward to Suzuki working these issues out.  In the meantime,
I'll send my Bb to Oz for repairs, and see how the repaired instrument holds up.

Thanks and regards, Richard Hunter
latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter