Re: [Harp-L] Stage Presence

Intimacy.

You are having a conversation/party/relationship/sex with the audience. Be open to them like each is your best friend and confidant. Give them a chance to connect with who you are not just what you are playing.

Commit 150% to your performance. Do not slack off and fiddle around.

Give your attention to the other players. Remember you are having an even more intense relationship with them than with the audience. Give the audience a chance to be in on that relationship by enjoying it openly.

Have command of your material and instrument.

Don't watch yourself play.

Be in celebration of this golden opportunity to have an audience.

If all that sounds scary then you are not alone. Intimacy with a room full of strangers can terrify anyone.
It's ok to have butterflies. Just make them fly in formation.

Gary Popenoe