Re: [Harp-L] Stage Presence

Great stuff Ken. Let me add a few things since this is an area of interest for me.

First, there is no "right" answer. You've been told to bop, you've been told to 'stand down'. These are the "Dickey Betts" and "Derek Trucks" schools of thoughts, to put it into an Allman Brothers slide guitarist perspective :^)

I'm more of a Dickey person. He's a showman up there, without getting too ridiculous. I just love that energy and excitement. Jerry Lee also, James Brown when he did that split, etc. But then there's Derek - who not only stands like a statue when he's not playing, he stands like that when he *is* playing! But what comes out of him, and the instrument, is inspirational, invigorating, exciting.

So there's no real "right" answer. At the beginning, you will be nervous, stiff. That's what the jams and other pseudo-public performances are about. In the end, you want to be relaxed, and BE YOURSELF, no matter who that is. Then the audience will "get it" and respond and it will come off well.

I'm still pretty new and dealing with this. So when I'm not playing, someone else is soloing, I'm now becoming comfortable with moving slightly, grooving to them and watching them, paying respect to what they are doing. Toe tapping, finger snapping, slight swaying. Just enough, not so much that I distract the audience from the person playing the solo, but encouraging them if they happen to look my way.

It's been said here many, many times. Read the Kenny Werner book "Effortless Mastery", it's all about this "head" stuff when playing/performing. An excellent book, Mike Easton gave me mine and it's the gift that keeps on giving. I plan on reading it again, just to reinforce.

Bill Hines
Hershey, PA