Re: [Harp-L] Stage presence as per Iceman

Stage presence is a quality some people have and others don't.  I don't.

Some performers are just naturals in front of people, regardless of musical
talent.  Others are awkward even if they are virtuosos.  I have always
admired performers with that natural ease and communication with the
audience.  On the other hand, I have a buddy who is one of the most
accomplished steel guitar players in Nashville who looks absolutely bashful
on stage.  He has been the same since I met him more than 20 years ago.

I work best when I stay within myself, remind myself not to ad lib any
comments or do anything crazy.  If I know my role and my lines, I'm good.  I
do less well in unscripted jam sessions, where I love to play but I leave it
at that.  I stopped drinking several years ago, which has helped my stage
presence immensely.  Nothing worse than a drunk performer, especially when
he thinks he is clever.

As far as looking down, I don't do that because it promotes saliva flow to
the harp.  So I tend to stand up straight and look a bit up, over the heads
of the crowd.  I listen to how nice my gear sounds, how full my vibrato is
(or isn't).  I keep time with my head or feet or knees or something, so I'm
moving to the music without actually dancing.  I look at my bandmates a lot,
especially the singer and/or guitar player.  I constantly remind myself to
smile.  People tell me I look okay on stage, and I'm generally happy with it
when I see videos of my performances.

I don't know if I own my space when I perform, but I try to own myself.
Players who are (or plan to be) famous - as in our recent interesting thread
- may need to focus a lot more on stage presence than I do.  My only point
is that an utter lack of stage presence is no reason to avoid performing.
At least it isn't for me.

-Spec20