[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 54, Issue 89

Hey Robert,
                   I really liked your comments about commanding the stage and affording the audience respect. My personal experience (and I've definitely observed this in others) is I really can delve into someone being human and vulnerable onstage. Since my main thrust is the blues , what's most powerful is honesty not contrivance. I find committment and focus extremely compelling so , as  I've said before, maybe not in this forum,  don't think about how you're doing , think about what  you're doing ...Musicians in an a way , are the luckiest people in the world, if you love playing it's its own reward. No one can take it away from you. Non-musicians  (and musicians as well) are intrigued by this relationship of man (or woman) and his/her axe. They want a piece of it. For me, as a devout atheist my church is the stage and closing my eyes I get to a transcendental place where my body doesn't matter anymore , only the sounds. It's a highly personal thing the audience is
 priveleged to observe. If you're devout, you'll be sanctified.
       There's huge stage presence in being swept up in the love of your art (and someone rightfully mentioned Springsteen as the ultimate example ;Stevie Ray Vaughan another).
  This love amplified through synesthesia (performer and audience experience combined) is
  unstoppable. The shoes , etc. are a detail and indication of one putting forth an effort but the deeper level is the music and your connection to it.
                                                                                                       Chris

Chris "Hammer" Smith
Hammer Smith Band
Official Myspace Page http://myspace.com/chrishammersmith