[Harp-L] Re: Anti Feed Back Devices, the cheap solution

Well, following in the vein of gear, I thought I would throw my two cents in on this thread. I am a intermediate harp player who has been experimenting with harp amplification for a few months now. I haven't yet played on stage, or with a band, but even so, practicing at home, I run into feed back issues even with my little 5watt pignose. I also use an old 20w PA head into a 2x10 cab, and the feedback issues are even greater with that. I use homemade dynamic mics, with a little delay, and then into a tube emulating preamp before sending to the amp. I was really dissatisfied haveing to practice turned way down. I know that if I was playing in a bigger room, or outside, I probably woulnd't have so much problem with feedback, but, due to "family dynamics" i have to practice in my very small office with the door closed! :)
   Being a non-pro player and quite poor, I can't even think about $300 gadgets right now. However, I can think about $30 gadgets! I just bought a danelctro "fish&chips" equalizer pedal ($32) after reading reviews at Coast2Coast and Harmony Central. It has really been a fantastic addition to my pedal chain. I can specifically turn down just the frequencies that are causing feedback, without screwing with the rest of 'em. Some experimentation is required because the eq slider positions for optimal feedback reduction varies between mics and amps (I regularly use one of two mics with above mentioned amps), but it is pretty intuitive. You just plug in, and blow a sustained note while adjusting the sliders until you get no feedback!
  Anyway, I just wanted to through this suggestion to the list in  case there was any other po' boys  like me out there looking with interest for a feedback solution but scratching their heads and sayin "Damn!" when they hear about the $300 option. I'm not saying my $30 option works as good as the Kinder, but does work!
    Probably a Behringer or other eq pedal will have the same effect as the dano, so I'm not necessarily endorsing that brand above all else--it's just what I happened to buy..

Cheers,

Isaac