Re: [Harp-L] Hits with harp from the 80s

How about Stevie Wonder on the Eurythmics' 1985 hit "There must be an Angel"? Baaad chromatic in C.

Less exciting, but Stevie on the group sing "That's what Friends are For."

Stevie on Chaka Khan's "I Feel For You" (find the extended version if you can) and on Manhattan Transfer's "Spice of Life."

Toots Thielemans on Billy Joel's "Leave a Tender Moment Alone." (Isn't Toots a sort of honorary Swede?)

By the way, Chris "Hammer" Smith (who may be reading this) claims that his solo on "Say Say Say" was the first use of an overblow on a pop record.

Winslow

martin oldsberg <martinoldsberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: This is firmly in the trivia department, but: I wonder if anyone can name another hit with harmonica in it from the 80s, a period not recalled for its uplifting standards in popular music. But, perhaps strangely, there were a certain number of hits with very un-synthezised harmonica. And pop song sometimes still had solos, where the dj:s could interrupt with news about the weather.
    Here are the ones I happened to think of:
  Godley & Creme: "A little piece of heaven" (Great solo from Mark Feltham/Feltman?)
  Pete Townsend : "Face the face" (Solo by Peter Hope-Evans, I think)
  Roxette: "Dangerous" (Yeah, Swedes, sorry ´bout that, but solo by Jalle Lorentzon, and I think it went to no 1 in the US)
  Culture Club: "Kharma Chamelion" (Continuous playing by Judd Landers (?))
  M Jackson/P Mccartney: "Say say say" (Very elegant solo from Chris Smith. Who´s on this list? If I recall correctly it ends with a 2BB on hole 10 on an Eb harp; can be toughie.)
  Eurythmics: "Missionary man" (Harmonica by Jimmy Zavala)

  Have I missed something?

  Cheers,
  Martin
  in Sweden