To: "hazcon" <hazcon@xxxxxxxxxx>; "harp-l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 5:41 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] amazin' grace on harp

Hi Rick,

So sorry to hear about your friend passing.

Amazing Grace can be a very emotional song at such
a time, and your emotions will come out in your
harp playing.

I would definitely stick with 2nd position...
Amazing Grace is one of those songs 'made' for 2nd
position harp.

Personnally, 1st position would be great on a
chromatic, but for me, not on diatonic, compared to
what can be done in 2nd position.

The song isn't 'minor' enough (or at all) for 3rd.

In 2nd utilize all 3 octaves, or at least the low and
middle (I may use the upper to do a downward stepping
pattern lick all the way down to the low octave (and
possibly back up from the low octave for a finish).

Check out the late great Terry McMillan on YouTube
for inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7arOqGZQGx4

Ken H in OH

--- hazcon <hazcon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Guys i need a hand
                            A very good friend has
died an i am up for
playing it at his memorial concert:
                           I am Ok with positions 1
& 2 & 3 and i realize
that it isn't a 'hard' tune to play on the Harmonica
but as of now i can't
play it.ie in that I have never learnt it.
 If you had a week or so to learn it what position
would you choose and/or
which position has the max effect?
                         I am toying with the idea
of starting in A
,solo,( crossed D Harp)) then segueing into E
(crossed A harp)whereupon our
mate the slide player,(and vocalist) will join in to
do the song in E to the
finish.
                         Given the emotion this song
can generate i would
love to hear any other Harpers opinion/variation on
this theme
TIA
Rick
in NZ