Re: [Harp-L] Joe Cocker w/subtitle translation

Yes, remember how many people thought Jimi Hendrix sang, " 'scuse me, while
I kiss this guy".

As to perceiving musical lines, I believe the perception unfolds as the  line
does, because language isn't a factor. Perhaps you may "hum along" in your
inner ear when you hear a familiar melodic idea, feeling that tingle of
surprise  when the artist alters a note or two along the way from what you expect -
i.e.  Miles Davis.

In blues harmonica, I've often enjoyed learning well established ideas and
"licks" and then altering them to pull the listener out of the automatic pilot
perception mode and give them an aural surprise. It also ends the cycle of
memorizing other's ideas and reproducing them ad infinitum.

The Iceman

In a message dated 7/1/2008 1:42:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,