Re: R: [Harp-L] Anybody see where Seydel signed James Cotton for 1847 endorsement?

I think Mark Hummel and Charlie Musselwhite first showed Cotton the Seydel harps back in the winter on a Blues Cruise. Then Cotton and his management (Jacklyn) contacted me and we discussed his playing needs etc. and talked about the different harp models. Though he has used a lot of harps through the years his first love seemed to be the original marine bands he started with, and he was definitely interested in wooden combs.

He tried the Solist Pro, and the 1847 Classic, and was amazed how long the 1847 Stainless Steel reeds lasted him in gigs ( I think everybody knows that Cotton blows very hard...). Through experimenting he settled on the 1847 Classic as his harp of choice, saying it is the first modern harp that responds so fully to his playing style and holds up "amazing". He said he used an 1847 for his tribute to Little Walter at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame induction, and he has been gigging with them since before that.

Seydel wanted to hold off announcing his endorsement until he was really sure, and also for when it would be a good time to honor him. Since his 73rd birthday was this July 1st, it was a mutual decision to publicly announce it then. We were trying to figure out the best way to get a picture of Cotton with his new "superharp", and Karl Cabbage, a Seydel endorser and supporter who lives and gigs in San Diego, was gracious enough to leave his own gig and visit Cotton's gig at Anthology to meet Cotton and take the picture. I think Karl may do a write up for the local Blues Society.

Seydel is really grateful to Cotton and Jacklyn for their support, to Karl Cabbage, and also to Dan Gage for filling in for Karl.

Personally speaking, it is an amazing honor to be able to communicate with these great, great players and to help provide them with the instruments they use to make their incredible contribution.....

Rupert Oysler
www.seydelusa.com

Daniel Gage wrote:
Dear List,
There was a Seydel ceremony for Cotton at his recent Anthology gig in downtown San Diego on 13-June. (Anthology is the club name)
Karl Cabbage, who is also a Seydel endorsee, was on hand to present Cotton with a Seydel harp. I can't say for sure how it went down, as I was across town covering Karl's harp/vocal duties at his regular Friday night gig at the time.
Karl might have pictures up on his site (haven't checked myself) if he's allowed. His site is westofmemphis dot com. Karl also might (I can't really speak for him) be willing to email a pic or two to interested parties. He was (as would be expected) pretty psyched to meet and play with Cotton. Dan G.

venkyr@xxxxxxx wrote:
  At the recent Buckeye Harmonica Fest in Columbus, OH- Rupert Oysler was telling me that he gave Cotton one 1847- not sure what key. May be he got another one signed. Check with Rupert.