[Harp-L] greg blows me away again

Just got my second wooden mike from Greg Heumann of blowsmeaway.com
My hottest element is a black CR that was in a 707A shell (not the earlier smaller ones).  Being a large and heavy shell, I wasn't using it as often as I might -- especially having a great element in a maple shell from Greg already.

Anyway, what was very cool about the whole experience is that Greg sent me    8 photos at various stages along the way.  The first photo was of the block of cocobolo that Greg was going to cut in half to make 2 shells.  The block had some interesting color variation.  Greg let me decide if he should cut it vetically or horizantally and explained how the shell would be different depending on how he cut it.  He also let me decide, once cut in half, how the shell would be cut from the half resulting in different placment of the color variations.  I gues you could say we designed it together -- very cool!  (I don't know if Greg does this all the time, maybe he's too busy sometimes, but I sure emnjoyed the process.)  Because of the color variation in the wood, it is a very unique microphone, and because it is relatively small and light, the element will now get the playing time it deserves!  BTW, in case you wonder if the wood somehow detracts from the sound,
 I can only say that it sounds great.

Also, Greg turned it around really fast.  He probably received the old mike last Thursday and had the new one in the mail on Monday.  I took a look at greg's website to decide which wood to pick, and I see that he made a very cool mike with initials on the grill for Charlie M. (have a look).

I have no financial blah, blah, blah; just a satisfied blah, blah, blah.
--John K.