[Harp-L] Re: Where's the hottest blues scene?

Come to SPAH in St. Louis, come to the Blues jams, ask the players from
Colorado, Florida, Illinois, California, Indiana, Texas....

Ask the touring pros which cities welcome them best.  They probably have the
best support for local Blues too.

Come early or stay late and check out the St. Louis area itself.  We've had
an active Blues Society and blues radio programming for years, and a few
more New Orleans guys have settled here post Katrina.

According to the local bar rag, there are 61 open mics on a weekly basis in
the metro area.  Not all Blues, of course.

Bear in mind it's the Blues.  The more active the Blues scene, the more
competition for what is still a limited number of gigs.  When I went to
Jason Ricci's latest weeknight show at BB's Jazz, Blues, & Soups, I counted
3 pro harpers in the audience.  There were probably more; I don't get out
too much, so I don't know them all.

I'd imagine you have to look at opportunities for your dayjob work, too.

JPB