[Harp-L] Fwd: Hohner quality

Begin forwarded message:

From: "John F. Potts" <hvyj@xxxxxxx>
Date: July 5, 2008 6:50:36 PM GMT-04:00
To: jeffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Hohner quality

Jeff,
I had this happen to me 3 times with old style Meisterklasse harmonicas. When these first came out they had higher compression (more air tight) than the Special 20s I had been playing. But, back then, my technique was not as refined. I played way too hard, and did not breath from my diaphragm, so I really tortured reeds when I bent them, which may have had something to do with it.
Now, Hohner has discontinued or redesigned my favorite models and most of the MS harps i try do not have consistently good compression. I've converted to Suzuki Hammonds and Firebreaths. Superior out of the box to ANY Hohner I've ever played and really nice tone and volume. I also discovered that I prefer the equal tuning, but that's a separate matter. Except for the Promaster (which are nice, but have a very bight tone), I don't know how good the other Suzuki models are, but the Hammond and Firebreath are really nice.
Has anyone played a Suzuki chromatic?
JP