Subject: [Harp-L] Beginner player here!

Hi Tony:

If I may suggest...you go back to YouTube and seek out the teaching videos
of Jason Ricci and Adam Gussow.  They're all self-explanatory. If you don't
get 'tons' of help and info from both these terrific players I'll eat my  hat.
Adam posts here occasionally, has written a book about his  experiences of
being the "Adam" half of "Satan and Adam" (with Sterling  McGhee)....and Jason
Ricci has to be heard to be believed. He makes Popper look  as though he's
standing still (in my humble opinion)...watch the 'Harpin help'  youtube video
posted of Jason under 'Snarkus'...one of our list members...

there are lots of other people whose licks you could study to get
better...you have only been playing a short time, but the previous advice you've  been
given is great: you have to eventually find your own voice, have to 'back  off'
the intensity a little...

... and perhaps with these other two young guys you found to help you
...both of them are pretty darn good...you could start a group?  Nothing  ventured,
nothing gained..

I realize you're all probably heading off to different colleges..but  perhaps
you could work together online..(that'd be a first); and get together on
school breaks?

If you think that'd be difficult, think of this: Jason Ricci and New Blood
(who is still a harp-l member) plays gigs over 300 days a year...sometimes a
different city from one day to the next...wearing out the band's van; driving
all day at times to get to the next City...and then playing for 4 -5  hours.
The music world is tough..especially for a harmonica player.

Randy Singer of our list has a link on his website where you can read all
about how to get started...and what pitfalls to avoid.

There is a group formed of young people..as part of our SPAH organization
_www.spah.org_ (http://www.spah.org)    The cutoff age is  18.  You qualify.
You might wish to connect with them, as they seem  to be planning some
interesting things for the Convention in
August in St.  Louis.  the membership so far is probably less than 10..so I'm
sure you'd  be very welcomed.

Much good luck to you.

Elizabeth