Re: [Harp-L] Re: Christelle

On Jul 5, 2008, at 11:41 PM, jazmaan@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I second everything Elizabeth said about Christelle, especially including the part about I wish she could get to SPAH somehow. I already asked her about that and she can't afford the trip. I have no idea if SPAH ever subsidizes players, but if they do have aby funds for that sort of thing, I nominate Christelle as a most worthy recipient!

Hi Dave (My, what a fine name that is) A round trip flight from Paris to St. Louis (8/12-16) would be $2257.oo
Assuming double occupancy add $340.83. for the room. Add a NO charge festival ticket. The cost to spah would be $2597.83 (or more)
Assuming Christelle would cover her own meals and spending money, this equates to
$3.oo per member IF spah has 856 members. (which I think it has). The membership could be surcharged in next years dues. This could be an ongoing program.

Many years ago, I approached Gordon Mitchell and suggested that ONE needy person, OR person who would benefit AND benefit spah (through their accomplishments), be given a 'Convention Award'. I was told that it couldn't be done at the time because spah was broke. And as far as I know spah operates preeeeety close to the bone anyway, so to speak. Since $2597.83 would amount to 15 admissions, I could readily see their point. You can only get 25 lbs out of a 25 lb bag. Still, all in all, I would gladly pay the surcharge. In fact, I would pay much more. :)

smokey-joe