Re: [Harp-L] How ta lern to Play proply

Hi guys

If I can help one this one:

My view of playing is more a matter of emotions and feelings and the way to transmit it to the listener.

I'm not extremely clean while I play, and if you look at it many harp players are not that sharp. Having said that, there's a minimum for presenting a piece of music. It means that you've to master the basics of your instrument alone (tongue blocking, blow/draw in one hole, bends notes properly, and using OB/OD). It gives you the tools you need to tell the story you want to tell, which mean that you've to have the deep will to transmit something. Jean Jacques Milteau said to me a decade ago, during my first an only lesson of my life: " if you've the impression that what you're doing is complicated, then that's not the blues, or music" he's so right saying this. Miles Davis at the end was playing single notes, but what notes!!!!!

After that, you've to have TASTE (good or bad it doesn't matter) while you play to be an elegant player (like Steve Baker, SBW II, Jean- Jacques Milteau, Charlie Mc Coy) chosing your phrases on purpose, or to be a wild story teller.

If it can help, my goals when I play any kind of piece of music is to reach the shivers goose bumps, to reach the right note. This is one aspect who gives to the listener (and of course yourself) the impression that you can play....

BUT that's not enough there's a special aspect of the play that is in my opinion a crucial point : VIBRATO

Our instrument is too close to our vocal strings, this is the signature of every harp players (well yes some doesn't vibrate like Charlie Mc Coy). This is as well the way you'll be able to convey music and emotions. Just think it as an accent: when you talk your accent says who you're where you're coming from it's the part of the story you're telling when you speak to someone, and for the ones who are foreign language speaker, you know that even if you have small amount of words in your brain, BUT a very very good accent, people think that you're speaking very well this language. So for the VIBRATO and to give the impression that you can play, this is a very important point.

Hope it'll help and sorry for my english mistakes

Christelle