Re: [Harp-L] Harmonicas and respect

Richard,

I regret that you did not at least acknowledge the main thrust of the letter: that we don't get no respect because we think we are different from players of all other instruments. And that's why most harmonica players I hear just "tootle around" on their instruments. It is the one instrument designed for lazy people who don't want to waste too much time or effort. You can just pick it up, learn about bends or even OBs, and tootle away. Theory schmeary.

In fact, it is downright embarrassing when I see a harp player unable to choose the correct harmonica for a number or unable to follow the changes if they vary from the standard 12-bar blues pattern. I am alarmed by some of the notes harmonica players choose to play because they don't understand the underlying chords. I regret that most harp players can't write down what they play. If anyone is to learn their stuff, it will be by rote.

And, alas, as much as Little Walter influenced me as a blues player, as unique as his playing was, as good as his gift was, he was handicapped as a musician. Do you think it was a badge of pride for him that he didn't know any music theory? Do you think he would recommend that young musicians avoid learning music theory because it will make them better players? Do you think he could have been an even better player if he had had some training?

I think that those of use who teach music have an obligation to ensure that our students are equipped with the ability to read and write music. If they plan on ensemble playing, they need to understand chords and chord progressions. Personally, I will not accept any student who is unwilling to learn the basics of music as well as the techniques of the instrument he wants to learn. That includes harmonicas.

Larry Marks