Re: [Harp-L] Harmonicas and respect

I have no problem with the idea that harmonica players need to behave like musicians.  I certainly agree that every musician should learn as much about music and their chosen instrument(s) as they possibly can.

I utterly reject the idea that Little Walter was handicapped as a musician by his alleged lack of theory knowledge, unless and until someone can show me that his musical intentions and execution were somehow thwarted by these alleged shortcomings.  His entire recorded output shows a constant expansion of the boundaries of the blues, which was his chosen genre. I don't hear a lot of thwarting going on in those tracks. Quite the contrary.

In other words, pointing to Little Walter's supposed failure as a composer and player strikes me as a misguided way to make the point that it's a good idea to learn theory.  I might just as easily point to Stravinsky's failure to create convincing jazz as an example of the importance of learning to improvise.  The point is that both these artists had the tools they needed to make the music they wanted to make.

Of course every artist should aspire to grow.  I certainly do.  But artists are measured by both the quality of their intentions, and the extent to which the intentions are fulfilled.  I don't hear a lot of shortcomings in either department in Walter's work.  I mean, the guy was the pinnacle of the blues, for Pete's sake.  If you're going to slam him for that, why don't you slam T-Bone Walker and Stevie Ray Vaughn while you're at it?

Regards, Richard Hunter