Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harmonicas and respect

It has been suggested that Little Walter listened to a lot of jazz -
especially sax - Louis Jordan in particular.

A number of years ago, I heard Little Walter quote part of a Louis Jordan
sax solo in one of his recorded harmonica solos. Unfortunately, I don't
remember specifically the tune.

Anyone that listens to jazz solos, quotes them or is influenced by them, is
- on some level - involved with music theory, perhaps not in the classical or
classroom sense, but more so in the intuitive sense. One can transcribe a
solo  on paper using music notation, using HNA harmonica notation, or simply
transcribe and play on their instrument by virtue of listening over and over and
over.

Music theory books say, if the bass note is the tonic and you play a 4th
over it, that note will move to resolve down to a form of the 3rd.

Your ear says, when you hear the "A" in a religious "A-men" choral sound,
your ear and emotions will want to hear it tumble down to the "-men" note. You
will feel unresolved until it does.

These are both the same thing.

The Iceman

In a message dated 7/7/2008 2:04:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,