Re: [Harp-L] Hohner reeds

On 07.07.2008, at 19:07, Vern Smith wrote:

I find their explanation incomplete and unsatisfying. It sounds to me as if they are claiming more effect on performance than is warranted by a miniscule change of flexibility. I assume that Steve is repeating Hohner's claim and has not thought this through for himself.

I was trying to clear up a number of misconceptions about Hohner reeds which have been voiced here in the last few days, assumptions which were sometimes way off the mark. It's correct that the reed tips (not the whole reed though) are now slightly thinner in order to increase flexibility, I didn't express myself quite as clearly as I should have done here. However, it's pretty condescending to suggest I'm parroting what some mythical overlord at Hohner has told me to say, as I was directly involved in the development. My observations (not Hohner's claims) on reed life are based on my own experience over the past three years of playing around 100 live shows a year from clubs to festivals on these instruments, in the course of which they take a serious hammering. I would say that's a fair basis on which to judge. The number of complaints about reeds actually breaking off has dropped drastically since these changes were introduced. That's a fact.

I won't comment on Vern's remarks about different kinds of wood or breaking in instruments gently, but feel obliged to point out that other manufacturers make claims which are at least as questionable as that and which are unproven in practice. The jury is still out on the longevity of stainless steel reeds, for example.

One of the reasons I joined this forum was to try to improve the flow of information from Hohner to the playing and paying public and the other way around, something which has been much neglected in the past and has not surprisingly led to the habit of Hohner-bashing on the part of frustrated players. The realities of commercial harmonica manufacture are sometimes difficult to convey to the outsider but I'm happy to give it a try if members are interested.

Steve

steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.stevebaker.de
www.bluesculture.com