[Harp-L] Re: Hohner Reeds - The new instruments play like HERINGS

I have been a Hohner Endorsee for as long as I can remember, but I honestly don't know what to do about this.

I CANNOT PLAY THE NEW HOHNER HARMONICAS

The reeds play with a thinner sound. THEY PLAY LIKE HERINGS!

I don't care if they don't break. The instruments no longer play with the same power and response that they used to.

Before 2005, you could take an imperfect stock instrument and have it tweaked and tuned to just your liking. Now, they've narrowed the slots, making it next to impossible to emboss. They made some other changes, and the instruments don't play like Hohners. I called Hohner and talked to Sissy on more than one occasion, she was sympathetic but at a loss to explain what brought these "improvements" about. If it was Rick Epping, I wish they would bring him out of retirement to undo the damage.

My only solution has been to go on Ebay and look for pre 2005 models. As many of you know, the average person on Ebay is clueless and the questions about nails versus screws often digress
into a series of miscommunications and frustration. I know they made some changes to the Super 64 before, and went back. I pray to any god with open ears that they will do the same this time.

Of course, there's all of those old curmudgeons who refused to play anything but pre WW2 stock. Maybe at 37 I'm beginning my slide into a conservative fog.

The instruments respond better, play in tune better out of the box, and the slide assembly seems to have improved overall. Just like Herings! But the reason I don't play Herings is they have NO TONE. That's was Hohner's advantage. PAST TENSE. So many wonderful improvements, I understand why beginners and amateurs may be happy with the newer instrument. But I've spent the last 2 decades of my life adjusting to and perfecting my style and instruments, and I feel like this is the final straw. I honestly don't know what else to do.

I've heard from the grapevine that Hohner US doesn't even have reed stock for the new instruments to repair them? There's some scary stories out there.

This and the overall dismal response I've gotten from the company when attempting to do community outreach or get donations for schools has me wondering what in god's name is going on. I would switch to Suzuki, but I don't like their instruments (as of yet) or the welded reeds. But who knows. If my Ebay well dries up, I may be forced to try something else.

Good luck, Hohner USA. I don't know who you're listening to, but it's not me or any of the other endorsees, technicians or pro players I know.

Damien Masterson http://www.damienmasterson.com
or enter my name in any search engine
http://www.myspace.com/damienmastersonmusic
http://cdbaby.com/all/damienzm
415 305 7138 dzm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Damien Endorses Hohner Harmonicas and Audix Microphones