Re: [Harp-L] RE: hohner reeds

Ok, looking at this from a salvage diver's point of view, I hear people playing harp at 3.375 BAR (around 49.6125 lbs per sq in). Let's get serious people. Would it bust anyone's heart to back off to 2.948 BAR (around 43.3405 lbs per sq in)?

If I were to go back to 1847 or whatever, I think the harp would have been designed for the average person and not some wooley mammoth. I don't recall the original players of harps being human wind tunnels. They were people. Average people. Sooo, that's what the harp was designed for.

Considering the small reeds made from a metal that is known for it's maleability NOT its spring strength, AND given the absurdity of using iron (steel wasn't available back then) because of the caustic moisture present, I think the harp is about what it should BE.

If you want to blow like the ventilators on the Chunnel, maybe harp isn't for you. If you blow your brains out on a trumpet, all you blow out is your lip. Do it with a woodwind, and the reed chokes. I hear these horror stories about people sucking in reeds and I cringe. This is obviously being done by players who are at the ZENITH of extracting every possible sound out OF a harp. To this accomplishment, I applaud you...BUT why not bite the bullet and get yourself an amp and back down on the pressure to about 87.5% of what you're doing NOW.

Why would one expect a small box with tiny free swinging parts to put up with this abuse. There ARE a lot of hard chargers playing harp these days, but I don't see why that much brute force is necessary. As for reeds in general, my opinion is that: They're fine. If you don't like them, make your own. I have.

smokey-joe