[Harp-L] respect

Someone wrote re Little Walter:

I never met Little Walter. His playing was what got my ear at the tender age of 16.

>From what others have shared, I picture him as punching out someone if they
irritated him too much.  Of course, he met a tragic end, somehow, I appreciate the honesty.
?

  In all the years I've been on Harp-L, one of the two biggest firestorm "discussions" was created
about 10 or 15 years ago when one of Little Walter's former managers posted an off-the-cuff remark
that denigrated Walter's character. He said something to the effect that from his own personal
experience, in not so many words, Walter was immoral, ornery and mean, and would take advantage (if
not rob u outright, if i mbr correctly) you if he could. Myself, i found it an interesting glimpse
into the personality of one of the greatest harmonica stylists. But the multitude of angry Harp-L
posters who responded in defense of Little Walter showed how highly revered he is.  In general, they
felt it was unnecessary to bring to light the character defects of their icon.
 Of course, the other big firestorm was the great "comb materials debate".  Both were so long ago
that i wonder if they are available in the archives.
ron